Woke up yesterday with a sick child (Claudia). So I went to the store and got the essential items for sick kids. Fever reducer, sports drink, and popsicles. I knew that the popsicles had bad ingredients but bought them anyway knowing she would love them.
But what I didn’t realize was that the sports drink (had a gut feeling) and the fever reducers all had junk in them. Did you know that the fever reducer has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it – the sports drink too!
In all the years that my kids have been taking this stuff I really didn’t care. But I do now. I have been trying really hard to get all the junk out of their diet and now I realize the above!
What am I to do? I guess stick to water, homemade popsicles, and what about the fever reducer? I am going to have to do some research.
In the meantime I am upping my intact of fruits and veggies hoping to stay healthy. Here is just one of the drinks I made this week.
Parsley, carrots, cucumber, beet and apple:
4 comments:
There are some good cold medicines at Nutrition Depot with none of that gross stuff in it. I went there today and asked Suzie (she is AWESOME if you ever have questions). She said don't give any fever reducer anyway if their fever is 101 or below. She said for her own children she does give Motrin if it is higher than that only. Fever is the body's natural way of fighting off stuff so don't mess with it. So, I think in very moderation it is fine to give Motrin. She also recommended Elderberry extract to just boost the immune system for him. Definitely like you said keep her hydrated. Suzie said mainly water if they will drink it and some juice. Water though is the key. Oohh, I also need to forward you an e-mail somebody sent me on some interesting things when your kids are sick. Hope she keeps getting better!
Kristen
I hope Claudia feels better soon &I hope she dosen`t get the flu!
I feel for you!! I just made it through a week with myself and 3 kiddos with swine flu... Gross! I hope she feels better soon and thanks so much for your sweet comment:)!
~Whitney
You know, I visited Hallelujah Acres with my cousin some time ago{I am not vegan or especially healthy, even, but did learn a lot that I need to put into practice}, and they were saying how if its white and pours it will kill you. I know that sounds extreme, but I have heard also that sugar aids in sickness or not being able to get better sooner. Its amazing the junk we pump into our bodies because of lack of knowledge, or the fact that it seems harder to do the right thing. I certainly need to do an overhaul on our diets around here!!
Oh, you should totally make a banner, they are so easy!!
Elise
Post a Comment